Friday, February 17, 2012

Meet my new friend.

"Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier." - Mother Teresa

Everyone, meet Lydia. She is literally half my size... but her kindness, her smile, her laugh, the youthfulness in her voice - is way bigger than her tiny frame. 
It was just a normal day - sat down on the bus, pulled out my book and was extremely focused on the words on the page. Until this little lady pushed her way through the crowd and plopped down on the seat next to me. At the next stop, the bus driver slammed on the breaks pretty hard and Lydia pretty much flew out of her seat... but don't worry guys, I caught her. And that's where our relationship started. She looked at me with her blue-grey eyes and just laughed. I wasn't sure what kind of response I would get for voluntarily putting my arms around her to make sure she didn't fall. I mean, we are downtown and some people would be quite angry with me for touching them, even if it was to save their lives. {weird, right?} But she laughed and whispered, "Whew.. that was close! I should remember to hold on to the bars here." We both shared a laughed and then the whole bus ride to our destination {which so happened to be the same place} we just talked.. about her life, where she grew up, what she does now, her family, her ex-husband, what she did in college, etc. 
After I took this photo of her, I asked if I could take a picture of the both of us. I told her that I wanted one to print out and put in my journal. So that every time I see it, I can pray for her. She was more than happy to take one, but before we did, she whispered to me, "Oh man, I need a perm. And to color my hair. So bad." haha. 
We ended our conversation with me giving her my number just in case she needed anything! {her son doesn't visit her much} And she gave me a huge hug. 

Some people would be overly-cautious and not give their number out to a complete stranger. But in my mind, the way I think is... she really has no one and I don't want this to be the last time I see her or have a conversation with her. If all we will ever have is that one conversation on the bus, okay, fine. But if there is an opportunity to serve her and help her with whatever, even better

2 comments:

  1. You are such a caring and compassionate person, that was such a touching story I almost cried when I read it, your heart is so big and gracious, I wish the rest of this world could be as kind and generous as you, this made my heart melt most young people today would have let that woman fall and then laugh at the whole situation, but not you, you made a friend out of it , I am so happy you shared this story with everyone, maybe some of you can rub off on other people. your the BEST

    ReplyDelete