Thursday, July 26, 2012

Love & Miss You.

This was Christmas 2010. I remember the moment I took this picture because he was in the middle of crackin' jokes about that hat & how it would look fabulous on me. He was always crackin' jokes. And then would end them with that mischievous smile & a good ol' squeeze of a hug. 
Papa Dennis... I remember when you were first diagnosed with cancer. I was living with you guys. In the midst of the shocking news - and as bad as the reality was, you remained secure. I watched you throughout this whole process, and never once did I hear a complaint out of your mouth. I actually would often hear you singing. It would be early in the morning when I would be getting ready and I could hear you sing, "I get to love you through whatever comes, what a privilege." And through this whole process, that line has been your every move. Thank you for that example of loving through whatever.
 Gosh, I'm sitting here thinking about all that you've imparted into my life. And let me tell ya, it sure is a lot. I often think back to things that you've taught me, whether it be from my high school days when you were my teacher, or from times when you would preach from the pulpit at church, or times when we would spend time as a family. You see, when I moved in with Eric & Lisa, I didn't realize that I was actually going to become apart of the Trout clan. But low & behold, you had it in your heart to welcome me in, as your own... as a TalamaTrout. I. Loved. and still Love. That. 
You were full of life, love, laughter, wit, wisdom & truth. I'm grateful for you. Well, more than that - I'm overflowing with joy & admiration at the thought that God allowed our lives to intersect. So thankful. And even more today, I'm thankful that you are not suffering anymore. 
Pastor Norm said it so well, "The Lord gave us almost three years with Pastor Dennis, while science said we only had six months." 
My heart is full of gratefulness that God gave you those three extra years, and it's even more grateful that you went in peace & in the presence of your family. 
I love you Papa Dennis with all my heart. 
Grace, grace. (I will always remember those words)


1 comment:

  1. Anthea you are making me cry... Thank you for sharing your heart. He truly was such an incredible example to all of us, and an anchor. I will miss him but am also so thankful for the celebration of the finish line.

    ReplyDelete