Monday, October 27, 2014

Reflecting on a tragedy

I seriously can't seem to shake off my feelings and thoughts of the recent tragedy over at Marysville Pilchuck High School. Everyday I've had feelings of sadness and heartbreak over what took place just last week. I don't have children, so it's hard for me to relate to the pain the victim's parents may be feeling. But this event has made me think about the future - about my future children. This event has made me think about the nieces and nephews I have. It's made me think that life is a gamble. Everyday and every moment isn't guaranteed and we can't always live life thinking, "there is always another day." It's made me think that there is trouble in our world, and no matter how much we try to keep what we have safe - things aren't always guaranteed.
...Which also brings me to - it's made me think about loving the people around me a little harder. Calling my family more often than once a week. Hugging my fiance a bit more than I do already. Telling my nieces and nephews they have an aunty that loves them and is always here for them - for whatever they're going through. It's made me think that my kids will know I'm on their side, I'm here to listen to them, I'm here to be sad about what they're sad about, happy about what they're happy about and to encourage them in this crazy thing called life. I want the people in my life to know that without a doubt - I'm present and here for them.
I don't know about the suspect's personal life, other than what social media has put out there but I can't help but think someone wasn't present enough in his life. There was a missing link somewhere, and because of that - a tragic thing has happened. What if we as aunts, parents, siblings spent a little more time with the young people in our lives? In a day and age where everyone, ranging from elementary school and nursing homes, has some sort of social media account - I feel like there needs to be more monitoring of our younger one's accounts. Again - I cannot say why J Fryberg did these things or what his home situation was like - but what if there had been more adult guidance and supervision? Maybe this thing could've been intercepted. Maybe. We will never know, but this made me promise myself that I will be there more.
It hurts my heart to know that now 3 very young people have passed away. And 3 more in critical condition. All very young kids who had their lives ahead of them. Who will never get to know what it feels like to accomplish high school, to graduate from college, to find true love, to start a lifelong career, etc. They'll never know that because at some point there wasn't enough guidance. That's a risky thing to write about a situation I don't know much about, but we see it all too often. Kids falling through the cracks of life because adults aren't playing their part to guide them, to nurture them, to give them quality advice about life. The Marysville Pilchuck High School shooting needs to be a call up for my generation, your generation and the generations to come, that life is short, encouragement and guidance is needed, and that as a member of a fast-paced, internet ruled society - we actually need to be present a little bit more.
My prayers and thoughts are with the victim's families. May God's peace always be with you and may you know His love and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment